The world-class musicians/performers of SYLVAN STREET are committed to jazz education and working with young artists to teach and inspire the next generation of jazz innovators. Bring SYLVAN STREET to your high school or collegiate jazz program for outstanding workshops, clinics, and masterclasses led by nationally known music educators Jay Rees of The Frost School of Music, Kelland Thomas of The University of Arizona School of Music, Chad Shoopman of Walt Disney World Co., and Ken Smukal of the United States Air Force Airmen of Note. SYLVAN STREET offers the following interactive jazz clinics:
- Beginning Improvisation Workshop
- Advanced Improvisation Workshop
- Jazz Styles for Brass
- Jazz Styles for Reeds
- Rhythm Section Coaching
- Drum Set Masterclass
- And many more!
Ask us about our SYLVAN STREET “Day of Jazz Workshop & Concert” events. Schedule our daylong program of educational masterclasses and workshops for high school and collegiate students in your area. Then, cap off the evening with a live SYLVAN STREET concert experience. Our “Day of Jazz” can be a great fundraiser for your program. Let us know how we can be a part of your next jazz festival or school jazz band program.
* “We’ve had nothing but high praise for your band’s musical presentation and working with the kids. In all my years of having jazz artists come work with students and perform, I’ve never experienced not only the high level of creativity and musicianship, but the ability of every SYLVAN STREET band member to relate to middle school and high school students and really teach them how to improve their jazz performance.” -Ken Tittelbaugh, Board President, Santa Cruz Advocates for the Arts, AZ
* “It was our extreme pleasure to have SYLVAN STREET as one of our headline acts at The Beavercreek Weekend of Jazz in both 2009 and 2012. Over the past twelve years we have featured many of the top names in jazz today, but I must say that none have been more dynamic on stage, received more positive reaction from the audience, or been more educational to students of all ages than the multi talented members of SYLVAN STREET.” -Doug McCullough, Director of Bands, Beavercreek High School, OH
* “The SYLVAN STREET clinics and performance at our school proved to be the highlight of our spring semester. Our students had such a great time and learned so much from the artists. All of the students, no matter how young or advanced at playing their instruments, benefited from the lessons learned and from having the great opportunity to interact and work with Jay Rees and the members of SYLVAN STREET. We’ve already booked them for next year.” -Sam Andress, Director of Bands, Los Osos High School, CA
* “SYLVAN STREET provided a game-changing event for our students. Their clinics were relevant and helpful for both our most advanced and less experienced students. Not only did students learn and grow from listening to the group’s warm up, clinics and performance, but our parents and local community benefited immensely from having such an amazing performing group available to them.” -Danny Jensen, Director of Bands, Liberty High School, AZ
* “Rees and the members of SYLVAN STREET are gifted in working with young improvisers. They do a wonderful job of offering well-rounded clinics with high-quality instruction. Rees’ feedback helps students play better immediately and provides a foundation of practicing upon which they can build.” -Todd Hartman, Director of Jazz Studies, Lakota East High School, OH
* “SYLVAN STREET knows how to engage, inspire, and teach.” -Audrea Cluff, Band Director Patagonia Public Schools, AZ